Reading is a fundamental skill that can shape a child’s entire academic journey. Starting early is crucial in teaching children to read because it helps them develop critical literacy skills, expand their vocabulary, and improve their comprehension. In this post, let’s explore the importance of starting early when it comes to teaching children to read and give five classic children’s books that can be used for early readers, with an emphasis on California authors and topics. (more…)
Our preschool is fortunate to be located in Pleasant Hill, in the heart of the “East Bay.” We’re near to so many activities for parents and kids. Here’s a little secret: you can easily weave in “learning opportunities” for your kidrs during the weekend. After all, Pleasant Hill, California, and the entire East Bay region of the San Francisco Bay Area offer a wealth of opportunities for children to explore, learn, and have fun! Whether you’re looking for outdoor activities, cultural experiences, or educational opportunities, there is something for every family to enjoy.
Here are five of our favorite things to do with kids in and around Pleasant Hill –
- Visit the Lindsay Wildlife Experience: The Lindsay Wildlife Experience is a family-friendly wildlife rehabilitation and education center located in nearby Walnut Creek. Children can learn about and interact with a variety of animals, including birds of prey, reptiles, and mammals. The center also offers educational programs and camps for children of all ages.
- Explore the East Bay Regional Parks: The East Bay Regional Parks offer a variety of outdoor activities for children, including hiking, biking, fishing, and camping. The parks also offer educational programs and events, such as ranger-led hikes and nature walks. Some of the most popular parks in the area include Mount Diablo State Park, Briones Regional Park, and Tilden Regional Park.
- Visit the Bay Area Discovery Museum. The Bay Area Discovery Museum is located at Fort Baker, inside the Golden Gate National Recreation Area, which is part of the National Park Service. It’s a short but beautiful drive from Pleasant Hill, and makes an excellent “day trip” for your family.
- Attend a performance at the Lesher Center for the Arts: The Lesher Center for the Arts is a cultural center located in downtown Walnut Creek that offers a variety of performances and events for children, including theater, dance, and music. The center also offers educational programs and workshops for children who are interested in the arts.
- Explore the Lindsay Wildlife Museum: The Lindsay Wildlife Museum is a natural history museum located in nearby Walnut Creek. Children can explore exhibits and activities that focus on the natural world, including fossils, geology, and wildlife. The museum also offers educational programs and events for children of all ages.
In conclusion, there are many things to do with children in and around Pleasant Hill, California, and the East Bay region of the San Francisco Bay Area. From outdoor activities to cultural experiences to educational opportunities, there is something for every family to enjoy. Whether you’re looking for a day trip or a weekend adventure, there are plenty of options for children to explore, learn, and have fun. And remember – “sneak in” some fun learning opportunities, as we strongly believe learning can and should be “fun!”
Choosing the right kindergarten in Pleasant Hill, California, for your child can be a daunting task. Parents are often faced with the decision between private and public kindergarten in Alameda and Contra Costa counties. While public kindergarten is “free” and often conveniently located, private kindergarten has its own advantages that are worth considering. In this essay, we will discuss the advantages of private kindergarten over public kindergarten, including smaller class sizes, more focus on learning, and extended hours.(more…)